FSSAI License and Registration
FSSAI registration or FSSAI license can be easily obtained online in India through IndiaBizFiling. Any entity involved in the preparation, manufacturing, storage, transport or handling of food or food products must be registered under the FSSAI Act. FSSAI or Food Safety & Standards Authority of India is the entity responsible for registering and licensing food business operators in India, as well as establishing the rules and regulations for operating any food related business in India. Based on the size and nature of the business, FSSAI registration or FSSAI license may be required.
FSSAI – Food Safety & Standards of India
The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Welfare of the Indian government. Through the FSSAI Act, the FSSAI Department has been made for the licensing and regulation of food related businesses in India.
FSSAI registration is required for all petty food business operator. Petty food business operator is any person or entity who:
- Manufactures or sells any article of food himself or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder; or
- Distributes foods including in any religious or social gathering except a caterer; or
- Other food businesses including small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs.12 lakhs and whose:
- The production capacity of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not exceed 100 kg/liters per day or
- Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 liters of milk per day or
- Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
Petty food business operators are required to obtain an FSSAI registration by submitting an application for registration in Form A. On submission of an FSSAI registration application, the registration should be provided or application rejected in writing within 7 days of receipt of an application by an authority.
FSSAI registration certificate contains the details of registration and a photo of the applicant. Display the certificate prominently at the place of the food business, at all times while carrying on the food business.
Any person or entity that does not classify as a petty food business operator is required to obtain an FSSAI license for operating a food business in India. FSSAI license is of two types, State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License. Based on the size and nature of the business, the licensing authority would change. Large food manufacturer/processors/transporters and importers of food products require central FSSAI license. State FSSAI license is required for medium-sized food manufacturers, processor and transporters.
The fee and procedure for obtaining an FSSAI license are more extensive when compared to an FSSAI registration. FSSAI license application should be made in Form B to the appropriate Licensing Authority along with the necessary self-attested declaration, affidavit and annexures, as applicable.
FSSAI license is issued for a period of 1 to 5 years as requested by the food business operator. Higher fee would be applicable for obtaining FSSAI license for more years.
FSSAI License Renewal
Any person or entity holding a FSSAI registration or license can apply for the renewal of license by making an application, no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date of the FSSAI license. Any FSSAI renewal application filed beyond the expiry date is subjected to a late fee of Rs. 100 per day for each day of delay. Finally, if the food business license has expired, the Food Business Operator must terminate all business activities at the premises.
Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) is an upgraded version of the Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS), which was established in 2012 for the issue of FSSAI Licenses and Registration across India.
Once you obtain a FSSAI license or registration, you can display and use the FSSAI logo in your branding. Normally, the FSSAI logo is displayed by foods businesses and restaurants on their display boards, menu cards and brochures to publicize that the business is compliant under the FSSAI Act. Consumers regard the FSSAI logo as a mark of authenticity as well as assurance as to the basic quality of food and hygiene of the premises.
Punishment for Not Having FSSAI license
If any person or food business operator (except the persons exempted from licensing under sub-section (2) of section 31 of this Act), himself or by any person on his behalf who is required to obtain license, manufacturers, sells, stores or distributes or imports any article of food without license, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months and also with a fine which may extend to five lakh rupees.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI registration is mostly applicable for petty food retailers, and the procedure for obtaining FSSAi registration is very simple. The documents required for FSSAI registration are:
- Photo of Food Business Operator.
- Document for Identity Proof like Ration Card, Voter ID Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, Department Issued ID.
- Supporting Documents (if any):- NOC by Municipality or Panchayat, Health NOC.
Documents Required for FSSAI State License
The following are the documents required for the FSSAI state license:
- Form-B duly completed and signed (in duplicate) by the proprietor, partner or the authorised signatory.
- Blueprint or layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres or square metres and operation-wise area allocation (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only).
- List of directors, partners, executive members of society or trust with full address and contact details (mandatory for companies only)
- Name and list of equipment and machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horsepower used (mandatory for manufacturing and processing units only)
- Identity and address proof issued by Government authorities for proprietor, partner, director(s) or authorised signatory
- List of food category desired to be manufactured. (In case of manufacturers)
- Authority letter with name and address, the responsible person, nominated by the manufacturer along with alternative responsible person indicating the powers vested with them viz assisting the officers in inspections, collection of samples, packing & dispatch (for manufacturers or processors)
- Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of water to be used as an ingredient in food from a recognized or public health laboratory to confirm the portability (mandatory only for manufacturing and processing units)
- Proof of possession of premises. (sale deed, rent agreement or electricity bill, etc.)
- Partnership deed, affidavit of proprietorship or Memorandum and Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm. (optional)
FSSAI Self-declaration for proprietorships
- A copy of the certificate obtained under Coop – 1861 or Multi-State Coop Act – 2002 in case of cooperatives
- NOC and copy of the license from the manufacturer (mandatory for relabellers and repackers only)
Declaration and undertaking by Food Business Operator
- Food Safety Management System Plan or certificate.
- Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including the location of milk collection centres (in case of Milk and Milk Products processing).
- Sources of raw material for meat and meat processing plants.
- Pesticide residues report of water in case of units manufacturing packaged drinking water, packaged mineral water or carbonated water from a recognized public health laboratory.
- Recall plan wherever applicable.
- NOC from a municipality or local body.
- Form IX: Nomination of persons by a company along with the board resolution
- Certificate provided by the Ministry of Tourism.
- For transporters – Self-declaration of the number of vehicles.
- Declaration form – For Delhi or Himachal Pradesh.
FSSAI Registration for Home Business
The demand for home cooked or home made foods has lead to an increase in the number of Entrepreneurs getting into home bakery or home based food manufacturing. Under the FSSAI Act, it is mandatory to obtain FSSAI Registration if any person is manufacturing or producing food or edible products for sale. Thus, FSSAI registration is mandatory for home bakers and home kitchens. If a person operating a food based business from their home does not comply with the FSSAI Act, he or she may face penalties and legal trouble.
FSSAI Registration FAQ’s
1. What is FSSAI License?
FSSAI Stands for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. FSSAI is an Independent organization under the Ministry of Health. FSSAI Registration is mandatory for every individual or entity eligible for an FSSAI food safety Registration or License.
2. Why is FSSAI License essential?
India’s food safety and standards authority (FSSAI Registration) plays a crucial role in formulating the controlling procedures.
3. Is FSSAI Registration mandatory?
Yes, to be able to sell food, you will require to have an FSSAI license.
4. Who needs an FSSAI License?
FSSAI registration or License is mandatory for all types of food business operators in India, whether they are transporters, distributors, manufacturers or caterers, etc. There are three types of registration available depending upon the annual turnover and type of the establishments or business.
5. What does FSSAI Stand for?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards, 2006, which consolidates various acts & orders that have hitherto handled food-related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
6. What does FSSAI function for?
The foremost responsibility of FSSAI includes the development of Science-based Food Standards for articles of food and food products and regulating their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import to ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
7. What are the three types of FSSAI License registration?
Basic registration, State license, Central License are the three types of FSSAI licenses.
8. Which FSSAI license is required by a food operator to run a food business in more than two states?
To run a food business in more than two states, he has first to obtain a Central License for its registered office and a separate license from the state authority of the respective state.
9. In what circumstances will the application be rejected?
Licensing Officer can reject the application when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days. Do medical stores need to get a license if they are selling dietary foods? All Food Business Operators – FBO, including medical stores have to get FSSAI license/registration.
10. How can I get a FSSAI license online?
FSSAI license can be obtained in India through IndiaBizFiling. IndiaBizFiling helps foods business operators apply for FSSAI license on the FSSAI platform and monitor their registrations.
11. Is it mandatory to obtain FSSAI license in India?
Any person or entity who manufactures, processes, stores, distributes, or sells food must get an FSSAI Registration or License. Failure to obtain FSSAI license can lead to penalty and/or imprisonment.
12. How long does it take to get the FSSAI registration?
FSSAI registration can be obtained in less than 5 days online through IndiaBizFiling.
13. What is the validity of FSSAI registration?
FSSAI registration or FSSAI license is valid for 1 year or 5 years depending on the fee paid to the Government.
14. Do I need an FSSAI registration if I am running a home kitchen?
Yes, FSSAI registration is mandatory for all persons operating a home kitchen or home bakery in India.
15. Can FSSAI registration or license be obtained online?
Yes, the process for obtaining FSSAI registration or license is completely online. There is no requirement for the applicant to visit any office.
16. What is FSSAI full form or FSSAI meaning?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was founded under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which combines different acts and regulations that had previously dealt with food-related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
17. Do I have to mention FSSAI number in invoice?
From October 1, 2021, the FSSAI has mandated for all food business to FSSAI registration or FSSAI license number on invoices and bills.